Thursday, June 7, 2012

You Are Worthy.......Just Because

There are very few things that I know for sure, but the one thing I am absolutely certain of is my worth. I have always had a confidence in myself that, at times, may have been questioned for any number of reasons; maybe my weight had gotten too out of control, maybe relationships did not work out the way I’d hoped or maybe I just did not feel accepted enough in the things that I had done. But, I have always recognized that regardless of those things, I am worthy of being here. I am worthy of love. I am worthy of being given the opportunity to love and have that love returned to me.

My faith dictates that no matter what outside burdens people try to place on me, God is there to help me realign whatever doubts I may have in myself. Marvin Sapp said it best, “He saw the best in me, when others failed to”.

I think that it is really sad when someone can’t recognize what good they have in them and that no matter what has happened to them in the past, love and respect is always deserved and should be given as well as received. In all of our relationships, romantic, family, friendships…..we bring a ton of baggage to the table, it’s the nature of things. We are who we are because of the shit that we all have had to go through. But, that baggage is important to teach us each a lesson. Knowing what we will and will not allow to have happen to us and learning how to treat those people that are important to us is essential for building strong relationships and to staying true to who we are. We can’t be in healthy relationships of any kind if we shut down the possibility of growth…..the knowledge that the baggage and poison that we have dealt with does not and should not control us. It should be put on a shelf and referred to from time to time to remember not to go through it again. Know your worth….remember your worth.

The relationship I was in before my 8 year relationship with David was extremely dysfunctional. For the people who know me now….you would not have believed the shit I allowed to happen to me. I was not the person I am today....scratch that, I was then the person I am now, however, I had allowed myself to put that dude ahead of me. For Real? Now, I don’t like to say what I will never do, but I’m pretty damn sure that won’t happen again.

Truth be told, the demons that I have had to deal with in my life, and on some level I’m still dealing with, will not overtake my belief that I am worthy ever again.

I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it (- Maya Angelou)…..For Real.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer

God doesn't answer prayers, but what He will do is present an opportunity to us that will allow our prayers to be answered. One of the ...